Welcome to Roamwide in... Playlists! A new series of playlists specially curated by us for your aural pleasure and sense awakening. Music has the power to trigger powerful positive emotions via autobiographical memories but it also has the power to heal and make us dream... All in all, music is good for us and that is why we want to share some with you. Each playlist will focus on one of our favorite destinations across the globe, or capture some of our travel memories. So, close your eyes, tune in, and let the music take you...
"I adore Chicago. It is the pulse of America", said Sarah Bernhardt. Well, we agree with that! It's only natural that our second traveling playlist would be dedicated to the great city of Chicago! The Windy City has inspired many artists and musicians, many of whom pioneered the influential musical genres of blues and house music. It was hard to narrow the list down to just a few tracks, there are so many great ones to choose from! That said, turn up the volume and join us on a musical journey to Chicago!
If you'd like us to add some tracks or if you have some suggestions for future playlists, let us know in the comments below!
This playlist features some of the biggest music artists from Chicago, from pioneers in blues to house music and everything in-between (well, almost!).
In order of appearance:
- Robert Johnson, singer, composer, guitarist (blues)
- Muddy Waters, singer-songwriter, guitarist (blues)
- Freddy Cole, pianist, singer (jazz and R&B)
- Howlin' Wolf, singer, guitarist, harmonica player (blues)
- Little Walter, singer-songwriter, harmonica player (blues)
- Otis Rush, guitarist, singer-songwriter (blues)
- Koko Taylor, singer, dubbed "the Queen of Chicago blues"
- Chaka Khan, singer, songwriter, actor, author, philanthropist, entrepreneur, activist (R&B, soul, funk, disco, pop, jazz, gospel)
- Curtis Mayfield, singer-songwriter, guitarist, record producer (soul, funk)
- Chicago, rock band (rock, classical, jazz, R&B, and pop)
- The Staples Singers, singing group (gospel, soul, R&B)
- Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah, rock group
- Sufjan Stevens, singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist (electronica, lo-fi folk, symphonic instrumentation)
- Andrew Bird, multi-instrumentalist, singer, songwriter (swing music, indie rock, folk music)
- Wilco, indie rock ensemble
- The Smashing Pumpkins, alternative rock band
- Veruca Salt, alternative rock band (grunge)
- Colette, DJ, singer-songwriter (house)
- Hashim Hakim, MC (hip hop)
- Kid Yung, artist, producer, rapper, skateboarder, comedian (hip hop)
- Common, artist, actor, activist, author (hip hop)
- Chance the Rapper, rapper, singer, songwriter, actor, activist (hip hop)
- Earth, Wind & Fire, band (R&B, soul, funk, jazz, disco, pop, rock, dance, Latin and Afro pop)
- Loleatta Holloway, singer-songwriter (disco, soul, gospel, dance, garage)
- Roy Davis Jr., electronic musician (electronic)
- Peven Everett, singer-songwriter, musician (house, R&B)
- Frankie Knuckles, DJ, record producer, remixer (Chicago house)
- Jamie Principle, singer, producer (Chicago house)
- Mr. Fingers, record producer, musician (Chicago house, deep house)
- Gene Farris, producer (Chicago house)
- DJ Heather (with ECB and Natural Rhythm), DJ, producer (house)
- Tyree Cooper, producer (Chicago house, hip house)
- Maurice Joshua, record producer (soulful house)